Monday, July 7, 2014

DOLLHOUSE by Anya Allyn + 4 of My Favorite Sci-Fi Reads

REVIEW:
Dollhouse is a new YA novel full of mystery and thrills, with drama on the side, by Anya Allyn. I had a blast reading this book because I haven’t read a scary book in a while and this is a great read for summer, especially if you want something to keep you on the edge of your seat. I could picture this as a scary movie, or since it will be a series, maybe a TV show? I will most definitely have to check out the next books whenever they are released.
Q: Tell us about four of your favorite Dark Romances or Sci-Fi (books, movies, TV, etc) and why they are your favorite.
1. Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver - This is the first book in a trilogy about the U.S. protecting their country from the disease of love, teaching children that the cure for love is the right way to live. Lena Haloway is burdened with the choice: Running away from the cure or taking it. I love this book because I love my dystopian stories every once in a while. Lauren Oliver’s writing is amazing and there are some of my favorite quotes in this series.
2. The Giver by Lois Lowry- In a perfect world, children are raised to take on a role in their controlled community. Jonas, 12, is given the assignment to learn the truth from The Giver himself. This story will always be with me. It’s the first dystopian book I have read and one of the first school assignment books I enjoyed reading.
3. Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare - Tessa Gray is introduced to the Shadow world while she is trying to find her brother. She befriends Shadowhunters at the London Institute in 1878, and they are the only ones who can stop the Pandemonium Club from taking over the British Empire. I absolutely love this trilogy! The characters are my favorites, there’s humor, drama, and creepiness. I think that’s everything I need to know if I’ll love a book. 
4. The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler - This book takes place in the 90s, focusing on two teens, Emma and Josh. Emma gets a new computer and Windows 95 from her parents. She soon discovers Facebookon her computer and plenty of drama ensues when Emma and Josh realize they are signed into their own profiles … in the ever-changing future. This was a fun read, especially since I got a kick out of how they used AOL and watched new episodes of Seinfeld. The story is told by two different POVs, which I always think is interesting, especially since I got to hear Jay Asher and Lauren Oliver discuss writing in different POVs, as teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment